Saturday, October 2, 2010

October Already!? Time to hit the beach...

Good-Bye to Cato Manor

Sanibona!

It's hard to believe that October is here already, September flew by too fast!! Last Friday was Heritage day here in South Africa. Everyone is off of school and work that day so we all took our families to the beach for the day. Lots of people like to dress in traditional Zulu clothing and there were lots of Zulu dances going on along the beach to watch. It was a windy day in the 70's which means it's time to get on the winter coats for most of the locals. We all enjoyed the warm weather though and didn't hesitate to go for a swim in the ocean. It was my two-year-old sister's first time to see the ocean, but she was too scared to get in the water! Later that evening when we got home my little sister got really sick and was vomiting non-stop. My older sister told me that she was "sea-sick." She explained that it's Zulu culture that if the first time you see the ocean and don't go under the water that you'll end up sick later that day. I felt bad for my little sister, fortunately she was fine the next morning when she woke up! It was quite an interesting Zulu cultural experience for me!

Last weekend we all stayed at a backpackers hostel in town and got a chance to go out with our study abroad group and de-stress which was really great.

This past week we were busy attending classes at the Red Cross here in South Africa. The week long course and final exam certified us each in International First Aid. It was interesting to learn about things like shark and crocodile attacks and how to treat those wounds...things we don't quite cover in the United States. After our exam we celebrated by going to the beach for the rest of the afternoon to relax. It seems strange going to the beach in October...it definitely doesn't resemble fall here as we are just about to enter the summer season!

Yesterday, Friday, we had a farewell dinner with our families in Cato Manor. I can't believe that I will be leaving my host family on Monday, I'll definitely be sad to say good-bye to my family and the Cato Manor community. We had a great dinner and enjoyed a lot of dancing to Shakira's "Waka Waka," with all of the little kids from Cato.

My Zulu Family and I


Kristen & I at our Cato Manor Farewell Party

Monday morning we move out and head for another busy week. We're first driving to Amatikulu, another rural home stay followed by another rural homestay in Umthwalume. From there we will be driving to Underberg, a town in the Drakensberg Mountains (where I hope to be living during the time of my independent study in November). There, we will go out on an all day hike through the mountains followed by camping over night. I'm not quite sure when our next shower opportunity will be... but I think that it will be a great week!

I'll be sure to post pictures when we return!

Until then sala kahle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment